Wednesday, January 21, 2009

a n t h e m s

i'm leaving berkeley a week from this saturday. and this time, it may be forever.

i've been thinking a lot about how much this place has changed on me. first, foreign and new, and then home and safe. i've been listening to a lot of music that encapsulates my era of youth in this wonderful place. And all of it is painfully nostalgic. the first song was something i played in my doom room as i stared at the bunk bed above me. That next year, it played from my speakers in the room i shared with mallory, and anthems, when i introduced it to simon - played as the two of us sat on our backs, together on my bed, listening and melting away. it always gives me the same feeling. and when i listen to it ten years from now, i'll think of this town and how i was young once. listening to these songs makes me feel so old. but i'm not. my memories are already starting to fade, only to be brought back by the music i have once loved. 



this next one is completely reminiscent of my time in cloyne, when i stopping over-thinking and started just being happy. the song made me feel very momentous "our bodies get bigger but our hearts get torn up."



i'll always feel that this song is my peaceful phase. walking through campus and not being happy and not being sad. just completely content. this song reminds me of the dorms and i don't know why because i listen to it always, but i think it is because it was in that movie that came out when i was a freshman. anways, it's so nostalgic i can hardly stand it.



and then there was bjork. all the songs i've posted up here are my "sitting alone in my room songs," where i feel a little bit unsettled but at peace with it. this song is beautiful and it is my 6th most played song in my itunes library, downloaded may 6, 2007. just listening to this song reminds me of the smell of my room at the time. strange huh? she sang this at the shoreline when i saw her may 18th. i drank a bottle of wine wine, purchased underage from sam my favorite liquor store attendant, in the back of alec's car as rob, alec and i drove to the show. this performance is from that show. i was laying on a blanket on some grass way up high feeling the magic like everyone else. 

No comments: